Wednesday, December 05, 2018

Joy: Pecan Pies and The Blond Skateboarder



Crazy week last week. Husband's had hand surgery the day before Thanksgiving. Dented my truck. Back aching. Lot full at Costco, Marina del Rey. Determined to get at least one of their giant pecan pies to dull my stress, I parked at a meter across the street and walked to the store. 

Bought two pecan pies. Thanksgiving would be great this year even if I was in charge. The sun slanted in from the west and a beach scented breeze caressed my arms at the crosswalk. A beautiful blond girl stood there, maybe 19, holding her skateboard under her arm. Her legs were long and strong, and she smiled toward the sun.

"Did you press the button," I asked.

"Yes," she said, smiling. "I got two pecan pies today, too."

"How did you find parking?"

"We couldn't so I skateboarded back and got them. Plus, a turkey."

I stared at her in amazement. A cool breeze wafted into my open mouth as I replayed the vision she’d just given me of me after I first moved to L.A., skating from the Santa Monica Pier to the Venice Pier or bicycling to my T.A. job in a Marina del Rey school.

I swallowed hard, and said, "I wish I'd been here with a camera to record you."

She laughed. The light changed in our favor and we crossed. "The turkey wasn't big," she said. "Happy Thanksgiving."

No comments:

Post a Comment