Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Real Inside Passage


The Inside Passage haunts me, the sheer mass, muscular and domineering, the allure of frozen quiet shattered with a crack, more ominous than usual because of all the global warming talk. People walk the decks at all hours thinking ponderous thoughts, another kind of Inside Passage. I wanted to be hammered by weather when I was out there, pummeled by a shiatsu of wind and rain. I wanted to get laid every day, have my Inside Passage explored, assaulted, maybe even enjoyed as a safe haven. Cruising is a rite of passage. So is marriage. And turning fifty (not me, but HLH, in whose honor we gathered). The cruise was the cruise was the cruise. Not to be missed.





Hmm . . . yummy fog. Please envelope the ship, let the motors go still so I can hear the electric snap of ice, the hungry lap of water as I walk the decks blindly bumping into other sightless voyagers, perhaps hearing breathing behind me. I turn. The breathing becomes a soft moan. A rustle. "Now," someone says, and, "there."

Lovers out in the open, but hidden by the fog, secret parts lubricated by a salty mist.





My husband doesn't understand why I wanted this photo from the children's playland on the ship.

It's sinister. You could leave a body in the well for an innocent child to discover.














Two of my fans.

It's past ten at night. Note the windows in the rear of the photo.

The midnight sun. One of the best things about this cruise.

I don't wear a watch. I relied heavily on the elevator floors to tell the day of the week (anyone have a picture of that?), and I had incredible energy.


Would a vampire made in the frozen northern reaches of the world be able to tolerate light?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome pics - and your fans are so handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great, the part about hearing the breathing behind you was exciting, would be perfect opportunity for erotica. Could almost feel the experience you felt, still think you missed opportunity to taste a Glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add a new fan (me)! I enjoyed this post, and it reminded me a little in style and mood of the passages in Frankenstein set in the Arctic wasteland, but in a modern, hip sense.

    Now I see what you meant with Vampires! Here are a couple of links you might enjoy:

    1) Indeterminacy #176
    2) Barnabas "Collins" Roberts and the Nigerian Scammer: Dark Shadows Over the Lads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Sounds quite awesome.

    For some reason large masses of ice in a vast ocean frighten me, and this from someone who loves being out in the ocean on a board, alone.


    -----------
    I can't seem to sign in here without a gmail account. I have one but for people who do not or who want to leave their blog link and their blog is not on blogspot they can't do it. It might be a bit of a dissuader to some who prefer to leave their blog links behind.
    In case you didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete